The TOMY Gearation Building Toy has always been a favorite in my preschool class. Yes, you have to be careful because it can also turn into a toy that some kiddos will turn into a self-stimming toy, but overall it's a great toy. This isn't necessarily a great toy for "following a child's lead" or PLAY Project, but I still like it for other reasons.
Reasons I like this toy:
- You can make different designs/connections with the gears.
- Some of the gears do fun things like make noises or have parts that flip.
- It can be a great reinforcer by giving one piece at a time when you're doing more discrete trial type teaching.
- You can give a child a choice between two pieces.
- You can hoard the gears and work on requesting by the child.
- You can take pictures of the gears, and then do a matching game where the child has to find the matching piece to put on.
- You have to do some problem solving if not all the gears are moving.
Utah PLAY Project Home Consultant
Early Intervention Services for Children with Autism